Four Indian pairs reach quarters of Vietnam International
New Delhi: India had a good day in office at the Vietnam International Challenge with four Indian doubles pair reaching the quarterfinal of the event with contrasting victories at Hanoi on Thursday.
Women doubles pair of Aparna Balan and Siki Reddy, seeded fourth, beat Prajongjai Rawinda and Suwannakitborihan Sarita 21-17, 14-21, 21-15 early in the day and then came back to see off Chinese Taipei`s Ya Ching Hsu and Wan Yi Tang 21-14, 21-17 in a 35-minute match.
The Indian pair will take on Amelia Alicia Anscelly and Fie Cho Soong of Malaysia in the quarterfinals on Friday.
In men`s doubles, fifth seed Pranav Chopra and Akshay Dewalkar also put up a brilliant show to get across Po Jui Huang and Chang Kai Liang of Chinese Taipei 21-18, 17-21, 21-6 in a 40-minute match to set up a clash with second seed Indonesian combo of Gideon Markus Fernaldi and Agripinna Prima Rahmanto Putra.
Seventh seeded Indian pair of Tarun Kona and Arun Vishnu beat Indonesian combo of Rahmat Adianto and Angriawan Berry 5-21, 22-20, 21-16 to reach the quarterfinals. They would clash with Chinese Taipei`s Chu-En Huang and Chia Yu Lin on Friday.
Second seed Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan also reached the quarterfinals with a 21-19, 21-16 victory over Chia Yu Lin and Kuo Yu Wen of Chinese Taipei in the mixed doubles category.
Among other Indians in the fray, fourth seed Sai Praneeth B notched up a 21-16, 21-19 win over Yi Chye Ngo and will take on Han Chou Chu in the pre-quarters of the men`s singles competition.
Fifth seed HS Prannoy, however, suffered a defeat after going down fighting to Wisnu Yuli Prasetyo 21-16, 12-21, 15-21 in the second round.
Third seeded mixed doubles pair of Pranav Chopra and Prajakta Sawant put up a gallant fight before going down to Russian combo of Sergey Lunev and Evgenia Dimova 16-21, 21-14, 17-21.
In women's doubles, top seed Indian pair of Pradnya Gadre and Prajakta Sawant lost 14-21, 18-21 to Pia Zebadiah Bernadeth and Rizki Amelia Pradipta in a half-an-hour match.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees