Four Jharkhand special athletes part of Indian contingent
Jamshedpur (Jharkhand): Four special athletes from Jharkhand will represent India in the first Special Olympics Regional Asia Pacific games to be held in Newcastle, Australia from November 28 to December 7.
Rohit Nag (badminton), Abhay Toppo (bocce), Tejender Singh (basketball) and Putul Das (athletics) were among the 520 Indian contingent comprising of athletes, coaches and staff to represent India from Jharkhand, B D Bodhanwala, Area Director, Special Olympics Bharat, Jharkhand said.
In a press statement issued here today, Bodhanwala said out of the nine discipline - athletics, aquatics, badminton, basketball, bowling, bocce, cricket, football and table tennis - India will take part in eight disciplines with the exception being bowling.
The four Jharkhand athletes were selected by Special Olympics Bharat based on their performances in the National events held in the recent year, he stated.
The selected athletes will proceed to Kolkata, where they would joint the North-East contingent before taking a flight to Australia on 28 November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls