Four Mumbai sailors to represent India in Asian Games
Mumbai: Teenage sailors Upamanyu Dutta and Arosh Chaudhari won the national selection trials at Vishakapatnam and with it a berth to represent India in 420 Class (men) in the yachting competitions of the Asian Games to be held in Incheon, South Korea later this year.
Also underlining Mumbai`s strong pedigree in sailing was the women`s pair of Diya Correa (15) and Zara Arsiwala, of Cathedral & John Connon High School and B D Somani School respectively, who won the trials in 420 Class (women) and would compete in the Games slated from September 19-October 4.
National champion Upamanyu (17), a student of Bombay International School, recently teamed up with Arosh Chaudhari (16) from Poddar International School.
They turned up a sterling performance to come up trumps among the six best invited teams from the country to win the just-concluded selection trials at Vishakapatnam, said a media release.
All the four young sailors are from the Royal Bombay Yacht Club and, as part of preparations for the Asian Games, will be taking part in various championships in Europe, including the World Sailing Championships in Germany.
The strong sea and wind conditions at Vizag during the trials closely resembled the conditions expected in Incheon.
The pair of Upamanyu and Arosh was hampered by damage to their boat during racing but they were able to demonstrate their clear superiority in skill and experience, which helped them run away as clear winners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Is there life after death?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'