France world 4x100 medley champions as US disqualified
Barcelona: There was drama in the men`s 4x100 metres medley relay here when France were crowned as the new world champions following a false start by the US team.
Although the American quartet of Matt Grevers, Kevin Cordes, Ryan Lochte and Nathan Adrian finished comfortably ahead of the French and Australian teams, who had looked destined for silver and bronze, the Americans were disqualified as Cordes was judged to have dived in before Grevers had touched the board Sunday, reports Xinhua.
The disqualification was especially hard on Lochte who had swum a magnificent third leg in the butterfly to put the Americans into a decisive lead and it denied him what would have been a 16th World Championship gold.
As it is, the French quartet of Camille Lacourt, who had won the 50 metres backstroke earlier in the night, Giacomo Perez-Dortona, Jeremy Stravius and Fabian Gilot can look back on a hugely successful world championships in which they have won three gold medals as a team.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test