G Manoharan, Mahaveer Prasad among five recommended for Dronacharya Awards
New Delhi: Boxing coach G Manoharan, rowing`s Jose Jacob and wrestling`s Mahaveer Prasad were among five names recommended for this year`s Dronacharya Award by a selection panel headed by World Cup-winning hockey captain Ajitpal Singh Monday.
According to sources in the sports ministry, veteran athletics coach N Lingappa and judo`s Gurcharan Singh Gogi have also been recommended.
Apart from Prasad, who will be conferred with the award on the basis of current performance (2010-2013) taken into account, the four others are being awarded in the `Lifetime Achievement Category`.
The panel decided to recommend five names this time for the highest honour for coaches with one name each from boxing, athletics, wrestling, rowing and judo.
For the first time, a judo coach is set to be conferred with the Dronacharya with Gogi being recommended for producing a number of international judokas in a coaching career of over two decades.
For Manoharan, it was certainly a case of better late than never having coached the junior pugilists for the last 26 years. All the star boxers in the senior level like Shiva Thapa, Sumit Sangwan, Vikash Krishan has been under Manoharan`s tutelege during their junior years.
Shiva and Sumit won silver medals at the Youth Olympics and Asian Junior Championship under Manoharan in 2010.
A silent worker, Manoharan has been a pillar of the Indian boxing`s coaching staff. It is learnt that Manipuri boxing coach Ibomcha Singh, who was a member of the panel, made a strong case for Manoharan during today`s meeting.
Interestingly, wrestling coach Mahaveer is from the Greco-Roman category with some of his students being Asian Games bronze medallist Sunil Rana and Glasgow CWG silver medallist Geetika Jakhar, who also won a silver medal during the Doha Asian Games in 2006.
Athletics coach N Lingappa, who is now 90 years old, has finally been conferred with `Lifetime Achievement Award` after having applied for 15 straight years.
Two of his students, who made a mark at the national and international level, are former sprinter Ashwini Nachappa and quartermiler Vandana Rao (a member of the gold medal winning 4x400 m relay quartet 1986 Seoul Asian Games).
Odisha based Jacob has 20 rowers to his credit, who have won medals in various international competitions over the years.
Under his guidance, Odisha have won the team championship in the National Rowing Championship, a record 13 times. His wards Pramila Prabha Minz and Pratima Puhan bagged the bronze medal at the Guangzhou Asian Games (2010) while another Odisha girl Mina Madhuri Toppo won bronze at the World Championship.
The Dronacharya Award consists of a `Scroll of honour` along with a cheque of Rs 5 lakh.
From its inception in 1985 till 2013, 85 coaches (including one Cuban B I Fernandes of boxing) have received the award.
This year`s Droncharya awards committee comprised of Monalisa Mehta (table tennis), Bhuvneshwari Kumari (squash), Ibomcha Singh (boxing), Sharda Ugra (sports journalist), Manoj Yadav (secretary, All India Police Sports Control Board), RD Singh, Jiji Thomson, Onkar Kedia, Sushil Doshi (commentator) and Shyam Rao (volleyball).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe