Gamera-Shmyrko wins Osaka marathon
Osaka: Ukraine`s Tetiana Gamera-Shmyrko, running her first full marathon for a year, won the Osaka women`s marathon for the second straight year Sunday.
After trailing in third spot, the 30-year-old began battling for the lead with Japan`s Yukiko Akaba and Karolina Jarzynska of Poland at 32 kilometres. She broke away after 37 kilometres to win the race in 2hr 24min 37sec.
Akaba, the 2011 Osaka marathon winner who is due to retire from competition after this event, followed home in 2:26:00 with Jarzynska third in 2:26:31.
"I am really happy with my second victory here," Gamera-Shmyrko, who was fifth in the 2012 London Olympic marathon, said before a cheering crowd at Osaka`s Nagai Stadium.
"As usual, I tried to step up my speed in the second half and it went very well this time. It was great to have run with strong runners."
1. Tetiana Gamera-Shmyrko (UKR) 2hr 24min 37sec
2. Yukiko Akaba (JPN) 2:26:00
3. Karolina Jarzynska (POL) 2:26:31
4. Sairi Maeda (JPN) 2:26:46
5. Marta Lema (ETH) 2:28:06
6. Natalia Puchkova (RUS) 2:28:44
7. Mari Ozaki (JPN) 2:31:17
8. Deborah Toniolo (ITA) 2:31.42
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers