Gamera-Shmyrko wins Osaka marathon
Osaka: Ukraine`s Tetiana Gamera-Shmyrko, running her first full marathon for a year, won the Osaka women`s marathon for the second straight year Sunday.
After trailing in third spot, the 30-year-old began battling for the lead with Japan`s Yukiko Akaba and Karolina Jarzynska of Poland at 32 kilometres. She broke away after 37 kilometres to win the race in 2hr 24min 37sec.
Akaba, the 2011 Osaka marathon winner who is due to retire from competition after this event, followed home in 2:26:00 with Jarzynska third in 2:26:31.
"I am really happy with my second victory here," Gamera-Shmyrko, who was fifth in the 2012 London Olympic marathon, said before a cheering crowd at Osaka`s Nagai Stadium.
"As usual, I tried to step up my speed in the second half and it went very well this time. It was great to have run with strong runners."
1. Tetiana Gamera-Shmyrko (UKR) 2hr 24min 37sec
2. Yukiko Akaba (JPN) 2:26:00
3. Karolina Jarzynska (POL) 2:26:31
4. Sairi Maeda (JPN) 2:26:46
5. Marta Lema (ETH) 2:28:06
6. Natalia Puchkova (RUS) 2:28:44
7. Mari Ozaki (JPN) 2:31:17
8. Deborah Toniolo (ITA) 2:31.42
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert