Gangrape victim death: Milkha Singh bursts into tears
Gurgaon: Legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh today burst into tears while paying homage to the gangrape victim, who passed away after putting up a brave fight, even as golfer son Jeev Milkha Singh decided to donate Rs 3 lakh to the deceased`s family.
The 82-year-old `Flying Sikh` joined a group of citizens here to pay homage to the victim, who was cremated after her body was brought back to the capital from Singapore yesterday.
"They should not feel alone at this tragic hour. Their daughter was our daughter, India`s daughter and her loss is our loss," Singh said.
Singh said that he along with his son Jeev wanted to travel to the capital to join the protesters, but could not as he was attending to wife Nirmal Kaur, who is recovering from a fracture.
"I along with Jeev and my grand children lit candles last night inside our home in Gurgaon, where I am currently residing to attend to my wife, and prayed for the departed soul. The brave girl`s death has shaken the nation.
"I will be writing to the Government soon to demand exemplary punishment to the perpetrators of such barbaric crimes so that it acts as a severe deterrent," said the Chandigarh-based athlete.
Singh said that he had received a number of telephone calls from people in UK, Canada and USA, expressing shock and dismay at the horrific incident.
"They were shocked that such an incident can take place, least so in the heart of our country`s capital.
The image of our country abroad has taken a beating and now the Government must immediately take steps to ensure that perpetrators of such crimes are given severe punishment," he said.
He also said that Jeev has decided to donate Rs 3 lakh to the victim`s family.
He said that Jeev recently got the money from the tournament in Gurgaon that was named after the golfer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur