Gangrape victim death: Milkha Singh bursts into tears
Gurgaon: Legendary Indian athlete Milkha Singh today burst into tears while paying homage to the gangrape victim, who passed away after putting up a brave fight, even as golfer son Jeev Milkha Singh decided to donate Rs 3 lakh to the deceased`s family.
The 82-year-old `Flying Sikh` joined a group of citizens here to pay homage to the victim, who was cremated after her body was brought back to the capital from Singapore yesterday.
"They should not feel alone at this tragic hour. Their daughter was our daughter, India`s daughter and her loss is our loss," Singh said.
Singh said that he along with his son Jeev wanted to travel to the capital to join the protesters, but could not as he was attending to wife Nirmal Kaur, who is recovering from a fracture.
"I along with Jeev and my grand children lit candles last night inside our home in Gurgaon, where I am currently residing to attend to my wife, and prayed for the departed soul. The brave girl`s death has shaken the nation.
"I will be writing to the Government soon to demand exemplary punishment to the perpetrators of such barbaric crimes so that it acts as a severe deterrent," said the Chandigarh-based athlete.
Singh said that he had received a number of telephone calls from people in UK, Canada and USA, expressing shock and dismay at the horrific incident.
"They were shocked that such an incident can take place, least so in the heart of our country`s capital.
The image of our country abroad has taken a beating and now the Government must immediately take steps to ensure that perpetrators of such crimes are given severe punishment," he said.
He also said that Jeev has decided to donate Rs 3 lakh to the victim`s family.
He said that Jeev recently got the money from the tournament in Gurgaon that was named after the golfer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday