Garcia retains light welterweight titles
Bayamon: Danny Garcia kept his undefeated record intact late Saturday by taking a majority decision over challenger Mauricio Herrera in a light welterweight title fight.
Garcia improved to 28-0 and retained his World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association titles with a hard-fought victory that two judges scored 116-112 and the third had even, 114-114.
American Garcia, who is of Puerto Rican ancestry, had the crowd of 10,100 at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez on his side.
Herrera, also a US citizen, dropped to 20-4 with seven knockouts.
Garcia was coming off a unanimous decision win over Argentina`s Lucas Matthysse in September.
This was his fifth defense of the WBC crown he won by taking a unanimous decision over Mexico`s Erik Morales in 2012.
It was also be the fourth defense of the WBA title Garcia took from England`s Amir Khan with a fourth-round stoppage in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday