Garcia retains light welterweight titles
Bayamon: Danny Garcia kept his undefeated record intact late Saturday by taking a majority decision over challenger Mauricio Herrera in a light welterweight title fight.
Garcia improved to 28-0 and retained his World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association titles with a hard-fought victory that two judges scored 116-112 and the third had even, 114-114.
American Garcia, who is of Puerto Rican ancestry, had the crowd of 10,100 at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez on his side.
Herrera, also a US citizen, dropped to 20-4 with seven knockouts.
Garcia was coming off a unanimous decision win over Argentina`s Lucas Matthysse in September.
This was his fifth defense of the WBC crown he won by taking a unanimous decision over Mexico`s Erik Morales in 2012.
It was also be the fourth defense of the WBA title Garcia took from England`s Amir Khan with a fourth-round stoppage in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'