Garcia retains light welterweight titles
Bayamon: Danny Garcia kept his undefeated record intact late Saturday by taking a majority decision over challenger Mauricio Herrera in a light welterweight title fight.
Garcia improved to 28-0 and retained his World Boxing Council and World Boxing Association titles with a hard-fought victory that two judges scored 116-112 and the third had even, 114-114.
American Garcia, who is of Puerto Rican ancestry, had the crowd of 10,100 at the Coliseo Ruben Rodriguez on his side.
Herrera, also a US citizen, dropped to 20-4 with seven knockouts.
Garcia was coming off a unanimous decision win over Argentina`s Lucas Matthysse in September.
This was his fifth defense of the WBC crown he won by taking a unanimous decision over Mexico`s Erik Morales in 2012.
It was also be the fourth defense of the WBA title Garcia took from England`s Amir Khan with a fourth-round stoppage in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!