Gaurav Solanki enters quarters of World Championships
New Delhi: Down with fever and without a team doctor due to India`s international termination, Asian silver-medallist Gaurav Solanki (52kg) fought through to enter the quarterfinal of the World Youth Boxing Championships in Sofia, Bulgaria Sunday.
Solanki defeated Ireland`s William Donoghue 3-0 to set up a clash against China`s L V Ping, who got the better of Spain`s Gabriel Escobar in the pre-quarterfinal bout.
Solanki had been battling fever for the past two days and in the absence of a team doctor, the Indian contingent had to seek help from the doctor of Belarus` team.
But he did not let that affect his performance in the ring as he out-witted his Irish rival. However, what it once again highlighted was the problems that Indian boxers are facing due to the termination.
Owing to it, the International Boxing Association has barred any officials, including doctors, from accompanying the Indians.
However, it was curtains for Neeraj Parasar (64kg), who lost to Richard Toth of Hungary. The Indian fought hard but eventually lost 1-2.
The mega-event is doubling up as a qualifying event for the Youth Olympics to be held in Nanjing, China from August 16 to 28.
The youngsters, all in the age bracket of 17 and 18, will have to reach at least the semi-finals of the world event to make the cut for the Youth Olympics.
The Indians are competing under the International Boxing Association (AIBA) flag due to the termination following the federation`s failure to comply with the world body`s directives on holding elections.
India had won a couple of silver medals and a bronze in the previous edition in Yerevan, Armenia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you