Gauri Monga ready for Finnair Masters golf
New Delhi: India’s teenage golfer Gauri Monga is all set to take on some of the big international stars at the 200,000-euro Finnair Masters Ladies European Tour in Helsinki later this month.
Monga will be seen in action Aug 28-30 amongst some 120 top players of the world at the century-old Helsinki Golf Club.
The 16-year-old, who won the amateur title at the Women’s Indian Open this year, was selected for the European Tour event by the Finnish airline, Finnair, in cooperation with the Indian Embassy in Helsinki and the Indian Golf Union (IGU).
“I am very happy and thankful to Finnair for inviting me to play at such a prestigious event which will help me gain experience for the future,” a delighted Gauri said Saturday at the Delhi Golf Club where she was presented the tickets and the entry cards for the tournament by Kari Stolbow, airline’s director for the Indian subcontinent.
Gauri picked up the sport at the age of 13 and has proved to be a fast learner. She has taken part in several amateur events but her biggest breakthrough was the win at the Women’s Indian Open this year. Last year she won the gold division of the Southern India Ladies Amateur Golf Championships. Her mother Aashana is a former women’s captain of the Noida Golf Club.
Stolbow said that Finnair will consider sponsoring more young sportspersons from India to participate in overseas tournaments in future.
“Giving international exposure to the youth of those countries where we fly is an important component of our social initiative. India is an important country for us and we look forward to similar endeavours in future,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it