Geeta Phogat to spearhead India`s challenge at World C`ship
New Delhi: A seven-member women`s team led by Olympian Geeta Phogat will represent India at the 2012 World Senior Female Wrestling Championship, that gets underway at Edmonton, Canada from Wednesday.
While India`s lone woman grappler to have participated in the Olympics earlier this year, Geeta, will spearhead country`s challenge in the 55kg weight category, veteran Babita Kumar will lead the fight in 51kg section, a release from the Wrestling Federation of India stated here on Tuesday.
Navjot Kaur, another promising grappler, will participate in the 67kg segment.
Apart from the trio, India will be represented at the championship through Priyanka Singh (48kg), Shilpi Sheoran (59kg), Sakshi Malik (63kg) and Gurusharan Preet Kaur (72kg), the release added.
The Indian campaign in the four-day championship kicks off with the qualification round in the 51kg, 59kg and 67kg weight categories on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees