Geeta Phogat to spearhead India`s challenge at World C`ship
New Delhi: A seven-member women`s team led by Olympian Geeta Phogat will represent India at the 2012 World Senior Female Wrestling Championship, that gets underway at Edmonton, Canada from Wednesday.
While India`s lone woman grappler to have participated in the Olympics earlier this year, Geeta, will spearhead country`s challenge in the 55kg weight category, veteran Babita Kumar will lead the fight in 51kg section, a release from the Wrestling Federation of India stated here on Tuesday.
Navjot Kaur, another promising grappler, will participate in the 67kg segment.
Apart from the trio, India will be represented at the championship through Priyanka Singh (48kg), Shilpi Sheoran (59kg), Sakshi Malik (63kg) and Gurusharan Preet Kaur (72kg), the release added.
The Indian campaign in the four-day championship kicks off with the qualification round in the 51kg, 59kg and 67kg weight categories on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say