Geeta Phogat to spearhead India`s challenge at World C`ship
New Delhi: A seven-member women`s team led by Olympian Geeta Phogat will represent India at the 2012 World Senior Female Wrestling Championship, that gets underway at Edmonton, Canada from Wednesday.
While India`s lone woman grappler to have participated in the Olympics earlier this year, Geeta, will spearhead country`s challenge in the 55kg weight category, veteran Babita Kumar will lead the fight in 51kg section, a release from the Wrestling Federation of India stated here on Tuesday.
Navjot Kaur, another promising grappler, will participate in the 67kg segment.
Apart from the trio, India will be represented at the championship through Priyanka Singh (48kg), Shilpi Sheoran (59kg), Sakshi Malik (63kg) and Gurusharan Preet Kaur (72kg), the release added.
The Indian campaign in the four-day championship kicks off with the qualification round in the 51kg, 59kg and 67kg weight categories on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- 1st ODI: Azhar Ali's 82 goes in vain as Jason Roy guides England to 44-run win over Pakistan
- Janmashtami: Watch Dahi-Handi celebrations from Mumbai
- Vietnam scientists spot rare endangered primates
- David Warner named Australia captain as Steve Smith heads home to rest ahead of hectic home schedule
- Is butter healthy? Five reasons to eat Krishna's favourite!