Geeta Phogat to spearhead India`s challenge at World C`ship
New Delhi: A seven-member women`s team led by Olympian Geeta Phogat will represent India at the 2012 World Senior Female Wrestling Championship, that gets underway at Edmonton, Canada from Wednesday.
While India`s lone woman grappler to have participated in the Olympics earlier this year, Geeta, will spearhead country`s challenge in the 55kg weight category, veteran Babita Kumar will lead the fight in 51kg section, a release from the Wrestling Federation of India stated here on Tuesday.
Navjot Kaur, another promising grappler, will participate in the 67kg segment.
Apart from the trio, India will be represented at the championship through Priyanka Singh (48kg), Shilpi Sheoran (59kg), Sakshi Malik (63kg) and Gurusharan Preet Kaur (72kg), the release added.
The Indian campaign in the four-day championship kicks off with the qualification round in the 51kg, 59kg and 67kg weight categories on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- The India of our dreams: This poet's take will leave you inspired - Watch
- Six killed in vehicles' collision in Madhya Pradesh
- Bhumi Pednekar feels glad about `plus sized` actors now being given equal love
- Search for MH370 to be suspended
- Must watch — MJ Akbar gives stern warning to Pakistan on Kashmir