German referee dies as javelin pierces his throat
London: In a tragic incident in Germany, a 75-year-old referee died of injuries sustained when he was speared through the throat with a javelin at an athletics meet.
Dieter Schmidt had gone to measure the throw of an athlete when the next contestant`s javelin hit him in the throat and exited out of his neck.
Paramedics at the scene revived Schmidt and an emergency doctor escorted him as he was taken to the Dusseldorf`s University Hospital, where he was operated on after losing a lot of blood from his main artery.
Schmidt has been described as a "highly experienced international javelin judge". His 18-year-old granddaughter was due to compete at the championships.
The annual Wilhelm Unger Games event for young athletes was cancelled after the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Supporters pay last respects to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall; cremation today evening
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest