German referee dies as javelin pierces his throat
London: In a tragic incident in Germany, a 75-year-old referee died of injuries sustained when he was speared through the throat with a javelin at an athletics meet.
Dieter Schmidt had gone to measure the throw of an athlete when the next contestant`s javelin hit him in the throat and exited out of his neck.
Paramedics at the scene revived Schmidt and an emergency doctor escorted him as he was taken to the Dusseldorf`s University Hospital, where he was operated on after losing a lot of blood from his main artery.
Schmidt has been described as a "highly experienced international javelin judge". His 18-year-old granddaughter was due to compete at the championships.
The annual Wilhelm Unger Games event for young athletes was cancelled after the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi