German referee dies as javelin pierces his throat
London: In a tragic incident in Germany, a 75-year-old referee died of injuries sustained when he was speared through the throat with a javelin at an athletics meet.
Dieter Schmidt had gone to measure the throw of an athlete when the next contestant`s javelin hit him in the throat and exited out of his neck.
Paramedics at the scene revived Schmidt and an emergency doctor escorted him as he was taken to the Dusseldorf`s University Hospital, where he was operated on after losing a lot of blood from his main artery.
Schmidt has been described as a "highly experienced international javelin judge". His 18-year-old granddaughter was due to compete at the championships.
The annual Wilhelm Unger Games event for young athletes was cancelled after the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing