German referee dies as javelin pierces his throat
London: In a tragic incident in Germany, a 75-year-old referee died of injuries sustained when he was speared through the throat with a javelin at an athletics meet.
Dieter Schmidt had gone to measure the throw of an athlete when the next contestant`s javelin hit him in the throat and exited out of his neck.
Paramedics at the scene revived Schmidt and an emergency doctor escorted him as he was taken to the Dusseldorf`s University Hospital, where he was operated on after losing a lot of blood from his main artery.
Schmidt has been described as a "highly experienced international javelin judge". His 18-year-old granddaughter was due to compete at the championships.
The annual Wilhelm Unger Games event for young athletes was cancelled after the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam