German referee dies as javelin pierces his throat
London: In a tragic incident in Germany, a 75-year-old referee died of injuries sustained when he was speared through the throat with a javelin at an athletics meet.
Dieter Schmidt had gone to measure the throw of an athlete when the next contestant`s javelin hit him in the throat and exited out of his neck.
Paramedics at the scene revived Schmidt and an emergency doctor escorted him as he was taken to the Dusseldorf`s University Hospital, where he was operated on after losing a lot of blood from his main artery.
Schmidt has been described as a "highly experienced international javelin judge". His 18-year-old granddaughter was due to compete at the championships.
The annual Wilhelm Unger Games event for young athletes was cancelled after the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan