German Stars to feature in the Hockey India League
New Delhi: Experienced mid-fielders Mortiz Fuerste and Oliver Korn are among the players from Olympic champions Germany who have signed up for the Players` Auction to be held next month in the run up to the six-team Hockey India League that will begin on January 5.
Striker Deecke Oskar and goal-keeper Jacobi Nicolas, both members of the 2012 Olympic gold medal winning team, are the other prominent names from Germany.
Hockey India Secretary-General and Hockey India League Chairman Narinder Batra said the eagerness of quality players to showcase their skills was a confirmation that HIL is would become a sought-after event.
"We are overwhelmed by the overseas players` response to the Hockey India League," he said.
"The presence of these Germans is only a reflection of the air of excitement and anticipation that is building up around what promises to be the best assembly of players in any league in the world. We are sure that the hockey fraternity not only in India but elsewhere is in for a feast."
The 27-year-old Fuerste, who has scored 70 goals from 199 matches for Germany, was also part of the team that won the silver medal in the World Cup in New Delhi in 2010 besides being a part of the team that won gold in the Champions Trophy at Kuala Lumpur in 2007.
He also has two other Champions Trophy silver medals from 2006 and 2009.
Korn, 28, has scored 26 goals for Germany in 130 matches, winning Champions Trophy in Kuala Lumpur in 2007 and silver in the World Cup in New Delhi 2010 and the Champions Trophy in Melbourne in 2009.
The 26-year-old striker Deecke Oskar was part of teams that won the silver medals in the World Cup in New Delhi in 2010 and Champions Trophy in Melbourne in 2009.
Jacobi Nicolas won the Most Valuable Player award in the Euro Hockey League in 2011 and 2012 besides being the Best Goalkeeper in the German Hockey Championship in 2008, 2009 and 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly