German Stars to feature in the Hockey India League
New Delhi: Experienced mid-fielders Mortiz Fuerste and Oliver Korn are among the players from Olympic champions Germany who have signed up for the Players` Auction to be held next month in the run up to the six-team Hockey India League that will begin on January 5.
Striker Deecke Oskar and goal-keeper Jacobi Nicolas, both members of the 2012 Olympic gold medal winning team, are the other prominent names from Germany.
Hockey India Secretary-General and Hockey India League Chairman Narinder Batra said the eagerness of quality players to showcase their skills was a confirmation that HIL is would become a sought-after event.
"We are overwhelmed by the overseas players` response to the Hockey India League," he said.
"The presence of these Germans is only a reflection of the air of excitement and anticipation that is building up around what promises to be the best assembly of players in any league in the world. We are sure that the hockey fraternity not only in India but elsewhere is in for a feast."
The 27-year-old Fuerste, who has scored 70 goals from 199 matches for Germany, was also part of the team that won the silver medal in the World Cup in New Delhi in 2010 besides being a part of the team that won gold in the Champions Trophy at Kuala Lumpur in 2007.
He also has two other Champions Trophy silver medals from 2006 and 2009.
Korn, 28, has scored 26 goals for Germany in 130 matches, winning Champions Trophy in Kuala Lumpur in 2007 and silver in the World Cup in New Delhi 2010 and the Champions Trophy in Melbourne in 2009.
The 26-year-old striker Deecke Oskar was part of teams that won the silver medals in the World Cup in New Delhi in 2010 and Champions Trophy in Melbourne in 2009.
Jacobi Nicolas won the Most Valuable Player award in the Euro Hockey League in 2011 and 2012 besides being the Best Goalkeeper in the German Hockey Championship in 2008, 2009 and 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing