German swimmer Britta Steffen announces retirement
Berlin: German swimmer Britta Steffen announced her retirement from swimming.
The 29-year-old Steffen is one of the most successful German swimmers with 23 medals.
"I conclude my career in the knowledge that I belong to the best in the world. My health and the support of my family, friends, partners and companions made it possible to stretch my body to the limit," Steffen said Friday.
Steffen celebrated her greatest success in 2008 when she secured two gold medals, over 50 and 100 metres freestyle, for Germany at the Summer Olympics in Beijing. Moreover, she won a gold medal one year later at the FINA World Championship in Rome over 100-metre freestyle.
However, things changed, as Steffen returned empty handed from the 2012 Summer Olympics in London and 2013 FINA World Championship in Barcelona.
"I doubted in the past few weeks if I can muster the necessary motivation and energy to fight for gold medals and championship titles," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray