Ghosal, Dipika happy at squash being shortlisted for 2020
New Delhi: India`s leading squash players Saurav Ghoshal and Dipika Pallikal on Wednesday welcomed the decision by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board to shortlist Squash as a potential sport to join the Olympic Programme for the 2020 Olympic Games.
The IOC Executive Board, which comprises 15 IOC members including President Jacques Rogge, made its decision after receiving presentations from eight sports in St Petersburg, Russia.
"We were confident of making the list of short-listed sports. It`s a big decision for all the squash fraternity across the globe. We needed that extra push and today`s decision has only strengthened our belief that squash will make the final cut at IOC`s September meeting where they will take a decision on one sport," India’s top-ranked male player Ghosal said.
Women`s world No 14 Dipika said ,"We, as squash players, are extremely proud to be part of this bid. There has been so much development in every aspect of the game over the years and I don`t see a reason why we shouldn`t be an Olympic sport."
"I think we have had an excellent build-up to the bid. The whole squash fraternity has worked so hard in getting squash to be what it is today. It`s great news for us," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how cancer is increasing death toll in India
- DNA: Today in History | May 25, 2016
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part II
- Panel discussion over Congress using affidavits to secure MLA's Part IV
- French Open 2016, Day 4: Andy Murray survives fresh five-set Paris battle
- Mercedes insist all cool after Spanish storm; Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg clear the air
- Foxconn factory goes 'techno'; replaces workers with 60,000 robots!
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border