Ghosal, Dipika win National squash titles
Chennai: Top seed Dipika Palikal on Saturday annexed the elusive women`s title while Saurav Ghosal retained the men`s crown in the Senior National Squash Championship.
Dipika, the highest ranked Indian star, realised her over six-year long dream of winning a national title by defeating Anaka Alankamony 11-7 8-11 11-4 11-7 in the final.
In the men`s summit clash, Ghosal ended the season with a superb 8-11 11-6 11-3 11-1 win over Harinder Pal Singh in 55 minutes.
The national title was sweet for Dipika as it had been eluding her for long even though she had won several WISPA International titles, particularly in the recent past.
In the last six years, Dipika`s efforts to lift the national title went in vain since she was unable to get past Joshna Chinappa, who did not compete this year due to injury.
In Saturday`s match, Dipika was focussed on winning the title from the beginning.
After winning the first game 11-7, Dipika surrendered the second to Anaka, who managed to score points at will sometimes with some brilliant replies.
However, supremacy of Anaka, a Asian junior champion, was shortlived as Dipika played tightly and won the next three and the match in 31 minutes.
In the men`s final, Harinder Pal Singh won the close first game, pulling away from Ghosal.
Ghosal got the better start in the second and led 6-3 before pocketing the game 11-6.
Then on, it was a one-way traffic in the next two games as Harinder scored only four points, including just one in the fourth game as Ghosal ran away with the title.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video