Ghosal in semis, Deepika loses
Montral: Third seeded Saurav Ghosal advanced to the semi-final of the Financiere Banque Nationale Montreal Open squash tournament defeating Egyptian Omar Abdel Azaiz 11-3, 11-4, 2-11, 11-4 here Friday.
Ghosal, 27, the highest-ranked Indian of all time who celebrated a best-ever World number 17 this month, took less than an hour to subdue the 30-year-old Azaiz and set up a clash with World No.9 and top seed Spaniard Borja Golan.
In New York, Deepika Pallikal`s dream run ended when the Indian went down to World No.1 Nicol David from Malaysia who won 11-7, 11-5, 11-4 in the quarter-final of the Carol Weymuller Open tournament Friday.
"My aim was to keep her moving because she is so good when she has time," said David afterwards. "I managed to put my game plan together and my shots came in at the right time."
Pallikal, who upset Australia`s No.8 seed Kasey Brown to make it to the quarters, said: "I`m tired after my long match yesterday. When you play Nicol, you have to be fresh to have a chance.
"I started well in the first game and she just got tighter in the second and third which made me go for more shots and she just got onto the balls. I`ve had a good tournament and I`ve got a lot to learn.
"It`s all a learning process for me. I really made use of this tournament, and hopefully I`ll come back in a week or so in Macau and play well. You`ve got to take the positives and learn from it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch