Ghosh-Desai enter Japan Open TT quarters
New Delhi: The young duo of Soumyajit Ghosh and Harmeet Desai on Friday became the first Indian paddlers to reach the men`s doubles quarterfinals of a Super Series tournament as they entered the last-eight of the Japan Open at Yokohama.
Ace paddler Achantha Sharath Kamal (68) has entered the pre-quarterfinals of the singles` event while Soumyajit Ghosh (170) crashed out of the round of 32 after making his debut appearance in the second round of a Super Series event.
In the men`s doubles, Ghosh and Desai defeated Swedish duo of Kristain Karlsson and Mattias Karlsson 11-8 2-11 11-6 9-11 11-9 in an intense pre-quarterfinal battle.
The Indians will now run into the Japanese pair of Jin Ueda and Maharu Yoshimura in the quarterfinals tomorrow.
If the Indian pair manages to clear this hurdle, they will earn a minimum of USD 1000 in prize money.
Both Ghosh and Desai began with a good lead to take the first game but lost out as quickly in the second before going 2-1 up against the Swedish players. But the latter were up to the task and managed to level the score to take it to the decider.
In the decider, too, the Indians ran up a good lead, but their opponents matched them before Ghosh completing with a scorching winner.
Earlier in the men`s singles, Sharath Kamal got the better off Taipei`s Chia-Sheng Lee 7-11 20-18 5-11 11-8 11-6 11-2 to set up a clash against Liqin Wang of China tomorrow.
In the other match, Ghosh, who had upset Maharu Yoshimura (49) in a seven game duel, lost to Chien-An Chen of Taipei 11-9 3-11 12-14 4-11 4-11 to exit from the second round.
Anthony Amalraj, however, lost his singles battle in the main draw to Singapore`s Li Hu in straight games.
Meanwhile, Ghosh surprisingly failed to qualify for the U-21 boys event as he went down to Hampus Soderlund of Sweden. The loss cost Ghosh his entry from Group 5 as only the top two players in the group qualifying for the main draw.
Though both Tonin Ryuzai (Japan) and Soderlun had managed as many points as Ghosh did, five points each, the draw was decided on the ratio of games won and lost. Unfortunately, Ghosh finished behind the two players in the group.
Harmeet Desai also failed to make it to the main draw despite having played some good matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon