Giants edge Patriots to win Super Bowl
Indianapolis: The New York Giants battled back to beat the New England Patriots 21-17 and win the Super Bowl with heart-stopping fourth quarter comeback capped by a six-yard touchdown run by Ahmad Bradshaw with 57 seconds left.
The Giants, who trailed 10-9 at the half and 17-9 in the third quarter, clawed back with two field goals by Lawrence Tynes before mounting an 88-yard drive to thwart the Patriots for the second time in four years in the Super Bowl.
The thrilling game-winning drive was launched on the very first play from the 12-yard line, when quarterback Eli Manning lofted a pass down the left sideline that was brilliantly corralled by Mario Manningham, tip-toeing inside the sideline for a 38-yard gain.
Manning hit Manningham again and then found Hakeem Nicks for a key first down to keep the drive alive before Bradshaw darted through the middle for the go-ahead score.
Four years ago the Giants denied New England a perfect 19-0 season with a 17-14 upset win in Arizona. This time New York ended the Patriots` 10-game winning streak with another thrilling fourth-quarter drive.
Patriots quarterback Tom Brady got the ball back on his 20-yard line with 52 seconds left and led New England to the 49-yard line with five seconds left.
When Brady`s last desperation heave into the end zone was batted away to the ground, Giants players leaped with joy and purple confetti fell like magic dust on the delirious winners.
The Giants became the first 9-7 team to win the Super Bowl and made their 65-year-old coach Tom Coughlin the oldest man ever to direct a Super Bowl champion.
Manning completed 30-of-40 passes for 296 yards and one touchdown and was named Most Valuable Player of the Super Bowl, reprising his MVP performance of four years ago.
Brady was 27-of-41 for 276 yards. He threw two touchdown and one interception, and completed a Super Bowl record 16 successive passes at one point.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Bank employees to go on strike on Friday, services to be hit
- Avg 49 days of employment generated in 2015-16 under MGNREGA: Govt
- Turkey`s post-coup purge: almost 16,000 detained, 50,000 fired
- Death sentences upheld for six Jamaatul Mujahideen Bangladesh militants in 2005 bombings
- Oh Air India! 11,000 flights rescheduled, 16,000 flights delayed till June 2016