Gilbert cannot hide disappointment after Liege blow
City of Brussels: Philippe Gilbert could not hide his disappointment after finishing eighth at Liege-Bastogne-Liege on Sunday.
The 31-year-old, who was born in Verviers, in the same region that `La Doyenne` is raced, came into the race as one of two overwhelming favourites, alongside Spaniard Alejandro Valverde, who came second.
Having won this race in 2009, when Gilbert completed an Ardennes treble -- also winning the Amstel Gold Race and Fleche Wallonne -- the BMC rider was hoping to succeed in the 100th edition of Liege-Bastogne-Liege.
But he couldn`t follow his rivals` acceleration on the final ramp in Ans at the the end of 263km of racing, instead settling for a minor placing as Australia`s Simon Gerrans won.
"I came here with the intention of winning so eighth is a disappointment," he said.
"I was lacking a bit of strength in the last few kilometres to get a result.
"But it wasn`t easy. With the tailwind it was very fast. We were always in a big group and it wasn`t possible to attack or go quicker."
Having won the Brabantse Pijl semi-classic 10 days ago and also Amstel Gold last Sunday, it has nonetheless been a successful Ardennes campaign for Gilbert, who was 10th at Wednesday`s Fleche Wallonne.
"I won two, Brabantse and Amstel Gold, but it`s obviously Liege that was the most important to me.
"So I`m not totally satisfied with my Spring campaign.
"Well done to Gerrans who is a great winner and building up an impressive resume."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured