Gill takes lead in Speed Rally de Kolkata
Durgapur: Gaurav Gill of Team MRF and
co-driver Musa Sherif took the day one honours in the Speed
Rally de Kolkata, the third round of the 2009 Speed-Indian
National Rally Championship here today.
Driving a Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia in the 2000cc N+
category, Gill topped the overall leaderboard at the end of
leg-1, which consisted of six special stages.
Gill`s arch-rival and defending national champion Vikram
Mathias of Red Rooster Racing, also in a Cedia, retired and so
did two other MRF entries in this showpiece class - Arjun Balu
(co-driver Sujith Kumar) and Arjun Rao Aroor (co-driver Satish
It left Red Rooster`s Amittrajit Ghosh (co-driver Ashwin
Naik), winner of the round one in Coimbatore, trailing Gill by
28 seconds, but ahead of MRFs Lohitt Urs (co-driver M
Chandramouli) by 27 seconds.
Local lad Ghosh showed controlled aggression and did not
go all out with an eye on the championship points.
"Last year, I just had to finish the last rally and a
second place would have given me the national championship.
But I had a DNF and lost everything. So this year I am wise
and careful," Ghosh said.
"Tomorrow, it is a question of holding positions. After
we failed to finish in K-1000, I am determined to finish the
event here, even if it means settling for a second position,"
While the top guns fell out owing to off-road excursions,
the day ended on a bitter note, especially for Red Rooster
after Mathias, powering down a high-speed left-hander, slammed
into Balu`s stricken car that had gone off the road.
Although Mathias continued, he went off in the very next
Down the grid, the competition was fairly intense in the
1600cc class (Maruti Baleno) until early leader Joseph Jos
(co-driver Royce Kizhikoodan), of DDL Sports and winner in
Bangalore, retired on the penultimate stage as S Sujay
(co-driver Varun S) took over to lead Girijashankar Joshy
(co-driver Srikant Gowda) by 17 seconds. In third spot was
Rahul Kanthraj (co-driver Vivek Bhatt).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees