Girisha gets warm welcome on arrival in Bangalore
Bangalore: London Paralympics men`s high jump silver-medallist Girisha Hosanagara Nagarajegowda was accorded a warm welcome at the Bangalore International Airport on his arrival on Wednesday from the Games.
Girisha, who clinched the medal in the men`s high jump F42 event, said he was overwhelmed by the welcome he received at and thanked the media, his family and the country for showing support.
"My first thanks goes to Karnataka and my fellow Kannadigas," he said.
Girisha said he is not thinking of any job and wanted to focus on sports.
He also insisted that he did not consider himself disabled, but differently-abled.
"Ever disabled must think this way," he added.
Girisha said his confidence was low when he first went to participate in the Paralympics, but support from his family, federation and his coach, helped him gain confidence.
Girisha, who has an impairment in his left leg, sailed over a height of 1.74m in the final of the event to finish second behind Iliesa Delana of Fiji.
Though Girisha`s barefoot scissor leap matched that of gold medallist Iliesa Delana of Fiji, he had to settle for silver for taking more jumps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM