Girisha gets warm welcome on arrival in Bangalore
Bangalore: London Paralympics men`s high jump silver-medallist Girisha Hosanagara Nagarajegowda was accorded a warm welcome at the Bangalore International Airport on his arrival on Wednesday from the Games.
Girisha, who clinched the medal in the men`s high jump F42 event, said he was overwhelmed by the welcome he received at and thanked the media, his family and the country for showing support.
"My first thanks goes to Karnataka and my fellow Kannadigas," he said.
Girisha said he is not thinking of any job and wanted to focus on sports.
He also insisted that he did not consider himself disabled, but differently-abled.
"Ever disabled must think this way," he added.
Girisha said his confidence was low when he first went to participate in the Paralympics, but support from his family, federation and his coach, helped him gain confidence.
Girisha, who has an impairment in his left leg, sailed over a height of 1.74m in the final of the event to finish second behind Iliesa Delana of Fiji.
Though Girisha`s barefoot scissor leap matched that of gold medallist Iliesa Delana of Fiji, he had to settle for silver for taking more jumps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players