Giro glory for Russian rider Belkov
London: Russian cyclist Maxim Belkov has won the ninth stage of the Giro d’Italia grand tour with a stunning breakaway ride.
Belkov and two other riders broke off from the peloton early on with the aim of scoring points on the climbs but the Russian managed to shed them and hold on until the end, building up a gigantic seven-minute lead at one point on Sunday.
It is the second stage win of this year’s Giro for Belkov’s Katusha team after one earlier for Luca Paolini.
"Belkov came to this stage with a cool head and did what he needed to do, showed everyone what he`s capable of," Katusha general manager Vyatcheslav Ekimov said.
Vincenzo Nibali continues to wear the pink leader’s jersey, as one of his main rivals, Bradley Wiggins, lost time again with poor descents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player