Giro glory for Russian rider Belkov
London: Russian cyclist Maxim Belkov has won the ninth stage of the Giro d’Italia grand tour with a stunning breakaway ride.
Belkov and two other riders broke off from the peloton early on with the aim of scoring points on the climbs but the Russian managed to shed them and hold on until the end, building up a gigantic seven-minute lead at one point on Sunday.
It is the second stage win of this year’s Giro for Belkov’s Katusha team after one earlier for Luca Paolini.
"Belkov came to this stage with a cool head and did what he needed to do, showed everyone what he`s capable of," Katusha general manager Vyatcheslav Ekimov said.
Vincenzo Nibali continues to wear the pink leader’s jersey, as one of his main rivals, Bradley Wiggins, lost time again with poor descents.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India