Glasgow CWG organisers denies accreditation to hockey player
New Delhi: A miffed Hockey India on Saturday asked the Indian Olympic Association to withdraw the men`s hockey team from the Glasgow Commonwealth Games after it came to light that full-back Harbir Singh Sandhu has been denied accreditation by the organisers of the 2014 CWG.
Harbir, whose name featured in the 28-member provisional list of men`s hockey team for the Glasgow Games, has been denied accreditation for the mega-event following a UK Home Office Background Check result.
But the decision did not go down well with the HI whose secretary general Narinder Batra today shot off a letter to newly-elected IOA president N Ramachandran and secretary general Rajiv Mehta and requested them to take up the matter with Glasgow Games organisers.
"One of our shortlisted athletes for CWG in Glasgow has been denied visa. No reason is being given. He is a young budding athlete and our prospect for 2016 Olympics. He has travelled with the Indian team earlier on international tours," Batra wrote in the letter.
"I feel the IOA needs to push and take this matter forcefully with CWG otherwise it my personal opinion that IOA as a matter of protest should withdraw the men`s hockey team from CWG. I will take up the issue with HI Executive Board on March 29.
"There is no guarantee that Harbir Singh Sandhu would be in final 16 of CWG but we feel this is an insult for a budding Indian athlete and should not be accepted quietly," Batra said in his letter.
24-year-old Harbir is a promising full-back hailing from Punjab and has been part of the Indian team in many international tours.
The matter came to light after Commonwealth Games Associations Relations Manager, Robert Vergouw wrote a letter to Ramachandran and Mehta on March 10, informing them about the refusal of accreditation to Harbir.
"It is with great regret that I must inform you that one of your delegation members (Harbir Singh Sandhu) has had his request for a Glasgow 2014 accreditation refused due to a UK Home Office Background Check (BGC) result," Vergouw wrote in his communication.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015