GM Deep help India win silver in Asian Indoor Games
Kolkata: City-based Grandmaster Deep Sengupta outwitted GM Golizadeh Asghar to help the Indian mixed chess team clinch a silver medal at fourth Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games that concluded at Incheon, South Korea on Saturday.
In the two-round mixed team championship, India beat Iran by 2.5-1.5 points in the opening fixture by virtue of Deep`s win against GM Golizadeh Asghar (2500) as other games ended in draw.
According to information received here, China beat India 3-1 in the final.
Apart from Deep (FIDE rating 2544), the Indian chess team consisted of GM S Sethuraman (2559), WGM Pradip Bhakti Kulkarni (2271) and WGM Meenakshi Subbaraman (2217).
Deep and Sethuraman managed to snatch half points each from the strong Chinese opponents.
With black pieces Deep had a creditable draw against highly rated GM Yangyi Yu (2675) but Pradip and Meenakshi lost their respective games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!