GM Deep help India win silver in Asian Indoor Games
Kolkata: City-based Grandmaster Deep Sengupta outwitted GM Golizadeh Asghar to help the Indian mixed chess team clinch a silver medal at fourth Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games that concluded at Incheon, South Korea on Saturday.
In the two-round mixed team championship, India beat Iran by 2.5-1.5 points in the opening fixture by virtue of Deep`s win against GM Golizadeh Asghar (2500) as other games ended in draw.
According to information received here, China beat India 3-1 in the final.
Apart from Deep (FIDE rating 2544), the Indian chess team consisted of GM S Sethuraman (2559), WGM Pradip Bhakti Kulkarni (2271) and WGM Meenakshi Subbaraman (2217).
Deep and Sethuraman managed to snatch half points each from the strong Chinese opponents.
With black pieces Deep had a creditable draw against highly rated GM Yangyi Yu (2675) but Pradip and Meenakshi lost their respective games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH