Government considering Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand: Jitendra
Sangrur (Punjab): Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Tuesday said that the government was mulling over conferring the Bharat Ratna on hockey wizard Dhyan Chand for his contribution to the game and sports in general in the country.
Jitendra was talking to reporters after laying the foundation stone of Rs 6.87 crore synthetic track at War Heroes Stadium here.
He said the government was also making efforts to sort out the impasse between the International Olympic Committee and the Indian Olympic Association so that the country`s athletes can take part in next year`s Olympics under the National Flag.
Speaking about Punjab government`s desire to work for inclusion of Kabaddi in Olympics, Jitendra said the government was prepared to extend every help in this direction.
Local MP Vijay Inder Singla said that an amount of Rs 1.60 crore has been disbursed as grants from his MPLAD fund to provide various youth clubs and local bodies with Gym kits and help in the construction of stadiums.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Live: Jayalalithaa dies at 68 after suffering cardiac arrest; mortal remains brought to her official residence
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest