Government considering Bharat Ratna for Dhyan Chand: Jitendra
Sangrur (Punjab): Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Tuesday said that the government was mulling over conferring the Bharat Ratna on hockey wizard Dhyan Chand for his contribution to the game and sports in general in the country.
Jitendra was talking to reporters after laying the foundation stone of Rs 6.87 crore synthetic track at War Heroes Stadium here.
He said the government was also making efforts to sort out the impasse between the International Olympic Committee and the Indian Olympic Association so that the country`s athletes can take part in next year`s Olympics under the National Flag.
Speaking about Punjab government`s desire to work for inclusion of Kabaddi in Olympics, Jitendra said the government was prepared to extend every help in this direction.
Local MP Vijay Inder Singla said that an amount of Rs 1.60 crore has been disbursed as grants from his MPLAD fund to provide various youth clubs and local bodies with Gym kits and help in the construction of stadiums.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP