Govt alters Bharat Ratna eligibility; Sachin, Dhyan Chand in queue
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: In wake of the growing public opinion and media appeals to alter the eligibility criterion for awarding the Bharat Ratna, India’s highest civilian honour, the government made a historic move to widen the scope of the award.
The Bharat Ratna category has been broadened and excellence in all fields of human endeavour is the new eligibility norm. This is particularly good news for sports fans as the two biggest icons of the arena, Sachin Tendulkar and Dhyan Chand, are now eligible to be given the honour.
The country`s highest civilian award was initially restricted to fields such as Art, Literature, Science and Public Service but on the behest of the Sports and Home Ministries, the criterion was altered and approved by the PMO.
Though names of persons as per the eligibility criteria can be recommended by different state\Union Territories governments, organizations and individuals to PMO for consideration, no "formal recommendation" for this is necessary.
It is also not compulsory that Bharat Ratna is awarded every year. The number of awards is, however, restricted to a maximum of three in a year.
41 people have been conferred with Bharat Ratna. The first three Indians, who received the prestigious award, were Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman, Chakravarti Rajagopalachari and Sarvapali Radhakrishnan in 1954.
The award has also been conferred to a naturalized Indian citizen Mother Teresa (1980) and to two non-Indians - Khan Abdul Ghaffar Khan and Nelson Mandela (1990). Pandit Bhimsen Joshi was the last recipient of the award in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31