Govt can only deal with Malhotra-led IOA: RTI reply
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry has made it clear that it can only deal with the V K Malhotra-led Indian Olympic Association after the suspension of the IOA by the International Olympic Committee in December last.
The Ministry`s reply to a recent RTI application by a resident of Kollam in Kerala would mean that it cannot deal with Abhay Singh Chautala-led dispensation elected on December 5 last, a day after the IOC suspended the IOA for government interference.
The IOA polls, which elected Chautala as president, were declared "null and void" by the IOC.
"IOA is the National Olympic Committee of India affiliated to IOC. IOA does not require recognition of the Ministry as it is the sole NOC from the country," the reply said on the question whether IOA is recognised by the Sports Ministry.
"Ministry is required to deal with the NOC recognised by the IOC. As far as the recognition of National Sports Federations is concerned, the same are regulated in accordance with the provisions contained in National Sports Development Code," it said.
The reply mentioned the names of Malhotra and Randhir on the question to furnish the names of the IOA president and Secretary recognised by the Ministry.
It also replied on the negative on the question whether the Ministry had recently de-recognised the IOA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO