Govt can only deal with Malhotra-led IOA: RTI reply
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry has made it clear that it can only deal with the V K Malhotra-led Indian Olympic Association after the suspension of the IOA by the International Olympic Committee in December last.
The Ministry`s reply to a recent RTI application by a resident of Kollam in Kerala would mean that it cannot deal with Abhay Singh Chautala-led dispensation elected on December 5 last, a day after the IOC suspended the IOA for government interference.
The IOA polls, which elected Chautala as president, were declared "null and void" by the IOC.
"IOA is the National Olympic Committee of India affiliated to IOC. IOA does not require recognition of the Ministry as it is the sole NOC from the country," the reply said on the question whether IOA is recognised by the Sports Ministry.
"Ministry is required to deal with the NOC recognised by the IOC. As far as the recognition of National Sports Federations is concerned, the same are regulated in accordance with the provisions contained in National Sports Development Code," it said.
The reply mentioned the names of Malhotra and Randhir on the question to furnish the names of the IOA president and Secretary recognised by the Ministry.
It also replied on the negative on the question whether the Ministry had recently de-recognised the IOA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof