Govt seeks explanation on Malhotra`s election as AAI chief
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry has sought an explanation from the Archery Association of India (AAI) regarding its recently held polls in which V K Malhotra was elected president for the 10th term.
81-year-old Malhotra becoming the president of the AAI violates the age and tenure guidelines under the Sports Code.
Questioning why AAI has violated the Sports Code during its elections held last month, Sports Ministry shot off a letter dated November 19 to the archery body asking it to explain why the federation should not be de-recognised for violating the Code.
The Ministry gave AAI 10 days to respond to the letter.
"The Archery Association is requested to explain as to why the Association should not be derecognised by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in the event there is a violation of the Sports Code," the letter had stated.
"Your reply may please be sent within 10 days of receipt of this letter following which the Ministry may be compelled to take suo-motu action without waiting for a reply from the Association," it added.
The Ministry had also urged the AAI to give the age and tenure details of the elected office bearers.
"You are requested to intimate to this Ministry the details of age and tenures held by the various elected office bearers so that the Government may be able to take a decision on the compliance of the orders of the High Court.
The letter also stated that the "report of the Government Observer indicates that a number of office bearers elected in the election held on 19.11.2012 at the Hotel Janpath, New Delhi do not fulfil the criteria laid down in the Sports Code or in the directions of the Delhi High Court".
"The AAI was suppose to conduct the election of its office bearers in accordance with the National Sports Development Code, 2011 as directed by the Delhi High Court dated 15.10.2012 in Civil Writ Petition No. 195/2010," the letter added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged