Govt seeks explanation on Malhotra`s election as AAI chief
New Delhi: The Sports Ministry has sought an explanation from the Archery Association of India (AAI) regarding its recently held polls in which V K Malhotra was elected president for the 10th term.
81-year-old Malhotra becoming the president of the AAI violates the age and tenure guidelines under the Sports Code.
Questioning why AAI has violated the Sports Code during its elections held last month, Sports Ministry shot off a letter dated November 19 to the archery body asking it to explain why the federation should not be de-recognised for violating the Code.
The Ministry gave AAI 10 days to respond to the letter.
"The Archery Association is requested to explain as to why the Association should not be derecognised by the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in the event there is a violation of the Sports Code," the letter had stated.
"Your reply may please be sent within 10 days of receipt of this letter following which the Ministry may be compelled to take suo-motu action without waiting for a reply from the Association," it added.
The Ministry had also urged the AAI to give the age and tenure details of the elected office bearers.
"You are requested to intimate to this Ministry the details of age and tenures held by the various elected office bearers so that the Government may be able to take a decision on the compliance of the orders of the High Court.
The letter also stated that the "report of the Government Observer indicates that a number of office bearers elected in the election held on 19.11.2012 at the Hotel Janpath, New Delhi do not fulfil the criteria laid down in the Sports Code or in the directions of the Delhi High Court".
"The AAI was suppose to conduct the election of its office bearers in accordance with the National Sports Development Code, 2011 as directed by the Delhi High Court dated 15.10.2012 in Civil Writ Petition No. 195/2010," the letter added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security