Govt to decide on CWG OC fate

Last Updated: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 20:23

New Delhi: The government will soon decide on the future of the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee which was found to have met all obligations related to the successful conduct of the mega sporting event.

A resolution in this regard was passed on Thursday during its sixth annual general body meeting.

"During our meeting, it has been agreed upon by all members that the OC has met all its obligation mandated under the host city contracts signed by different stake holders. The body has decided that the government may take a decision on the its future," said Jarnail Singh, Chief Executive Officer of the OC.

Following Thursday`s decision, it is now likely that the Organising Committee, which is facing allegations of financial and managerial irregularities, will wind up its work soon.
He said the the accounts of the OC for 2009-10 and 2010-11 were also approved during the meeting.

"The Finance Ministry has been asked to tell the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) to examine its accounts for 2011-12," Singh said.

The OC accounts, along with the two years annual reports, will now be presented before Parliament which can then make them public.

To a question whether the OC will be wound up forever, another senior official associated with the Games organising body said, "There are many legal cases worth crores are going on. In addition, probe agencies like the CBI and CVC are looking into some of the irregularities in CWG-related projects. There is a need of staff to look after all this thing".

Sources said the OC is facing over two dozen legal cases related to various issues including non-payment of dues.

The Organising Committee was first scheduled to be wound up by March 2011, but authorities decided to extend its tenure till June 30 last year. It was given two extensions after that till December last and March 2012 followed by another extension till June.

The OC, which conducted the mega sporting event from October 3-12, 2010, has started relieving its staff and handing over logistics to the Sports Ministry.

Besides this, the swanky nine-storey OC headquarters at 1, Jai Singh Road is being given to other departments. Some attached offices under the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Prime Minister`s Office among others have already occupied some floors of the building.

The Public Accounts Committee is also looking into the alleged financial and managerial wrongdoings by the CWG OC pointed out by the CAG in one of its reports.

While the CBI has registered over 15 FIRs, the CVC is inquiring into at least 58 projects related to the sporting extravaganza for alleged criminal conspiracy, cheating and corruption by certain officials of government civic and construction agencies.

PTI



First Published: Thursday, June 28, 2012 - 20:23

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus