Gowda finishes 7th in discus throw in World Athletics
Daegu (South Korea): India`s Vikas Gowda finished seventh after a creditable effort of 64.05m in the men`s discus throw but Mayookha Johnny failed to qualify for the finals in women`s triple jump in the World Athletics Championships on Tuesday.
Appearing in his maiden discus throw finals in World Championships in three attempts, Gowda hurled the disc to his season`s best of 64.05m, which he recorded in his third attempt, though it was below his national record of 64.96m.
Germany`s Robert Harting won gold in 68.97m while Gerd Kanter of Estonia and Iran`s Ehsan Hadadi bagged the silver and bronze with 66.95 and 66.08 respectively.
Another Indian in the fray, Mayookha failed to qualify for the finals in triple jump as she finished 19th with an effort of 13.99m, which she attained in her second effort.
Mayookha had finished ninth in the long jump event on Sunday.
Shot putter Om Prakash Karhana and national record holder 800m runner Tintu Luka will compete on Thursday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India