Gowda finishes 7th in discus throw in World Athletics
Daegu (South Korea): India`s Vikas Gowda finished seventh after a creditable effort of 64.05m in the men`s discus throw but Mayookha Johnny failed to qualify for the finals in women`s triple jump in the World Athletics Championships on Tuesday.
Appearing in his maiden discus throw finals in World Championships in three attempts, Gowda hurled the disc to his season`s best of 64.05m, which he recorded in his third attempt, though it was below his national record of 64.96m.
Germany`s Robert Harting won gold in 68.97m while Gerd Kanter of Estonia and Iran`s Ehsan Hadadi bagged the silver and bronze with 66.95 and 66.08 respectively.
Another Indian in the fray, Mayookha failed to qualify for the finals in triple jump as she finished 19th with an effort of 13.99m, which she attained in her second effort.
Mayookha had finished ninth in the long jump event on Sunday.
Shot putter Om Prakash Karhana and national record holder 800m runner Tintu Luka will compete on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- This is how Priyanka Chopra spends her day off from 'Baywatch' sets! Check out in pics
- Heat wave in India: Useful tips and safety guidelines!
- Watch: Beautiful time-lapse video of a night flight from India to China!
- Kerala minister, Left candidate attacked with chair, stones during live TV debate
- Can you see the correct picture? Click to know