Gowda finishes 7th in discus throw in World Athletics
Daegu (South Korea): India`s Vikas Gowda finished seventh after a creditable effort of 64.05m in the men`s discus throw but Mayookha Johnny failed to qualify for the finals in women`s triple jump in the World Athletics Championships on Tuesday.
Appearing in his maiden discus throw finals in World Championships in three attempts, Gowda hurled the disc to his season`s best of 64.05m, which he recorded in his third attempt, though it was below his national record of 64.96m.
Germany`s Robert Harting won gold in 68.97m while Gerd Kanter of Estonia and Iran`s Ehsan Hadadi bagged the silver and bronze with 66.95 and 66.08 respectively.
Another Indian in the fray, Mayookha failed to qualify for the finals in triple jump as she finished 19th with an effort of 13.99m, which she attained in her second effort.
Mayookha had finished ninth in the long jump event on Sunday.
Shot putter Om Prakash Karhana and national record holder 800m runner Tintu Luka will compete on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family