Gowda finishes 7th in discus throw in World Athletics
Daegu (South Korea): India`s Vikas Gowda finished seventh after a creditable effort of 64.05m in the men`s discus throw but Mayookha Johnny failed to qualify for the finals in women`s triple jump in the World Athletics Championships on Tuesday.
Appearing in his maiden discus throw finals in World Championships in three attempts, Gowda hurled the disc to his season`s best of 64.05m, which he recorded in his third attempt, though it was below his national record of 64.96m.
Germany`s Robert Harting won gold in 68.97m while Gerd Kanter of Estonia and Iran`s Ehsan Hadadi bagged the silver and bronze with 66.95 and 66.08 respectively.
Another Indian in the fray, Mayookha failed to qualify for the finals in triple jump as she finished 19th with an effort of 13.99m, which she attained in her second effort.
Mayookha had finished ninth in the long jump event on Sunday.
Shot putter Om Prakash Karhana and national record holder 800m runner Tintu Luka will compete on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars