Great Britain back to winning form; Malaysia stun Pakistan
Ipoh (Malaysia): Great Britain got back to winning ways as they defeated New Zealand 2-1 in an Azlan Shah Cup match here on Wednesday while Malaysia rallied from a two-goal deficit to pull off an upset 3-2 victory over Asian Games champions Pakistan.
Malaysia`s match-winner came in the 69th minute through a penalty corner conversion by Muhammad Razie. Amir Farid and Faisal Saari had earlier lifted Malaysia back from the two-goal deficit.
Recovering from their loss to Argentina in the last outing, Great Britain dominated the encounter with New Zealand.
World No 4 Great Britain, the top team in the competition, scored field goals through Ashley Jackson (18th minute) and Matt Daly (27th), but New Zealand pulled a goal back on a penalty corner conversion by Andy Hayward (62nd).
This is New Zealand`s first loss in four matches, and they continue to lead the standings with nine points.
Argentina, who defeated India 3-2 today, also have nine points, but from five games. Great Britain are on seven points from four outings, followed by India (six points from five matches) and Malaysia (five points from four games).
Pakistan, who play India on Thursday, opened the scoring against Malaysia in the fourth minute through Umar Bhutta. Shafqat Rasool then sent a soaring reverse hit high in the goal in the 13th minute, but Amir Farid began the Malaysian rally with an opportunistic strike in the last minute before half-time.
Faisal Saari`s 47th minute goal brought Malaysia level on 2-2. Malaysia continued pressing Pakistan`s defence and forced a series of penalty corners before Razie found the target with a sound drive in the 69th minute.
South Korea have four points from as many games, followed by Pakistan Pakistan on three points from four matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire