Great Britain back to winning form; Malaysia stun Pakistan
Ipoh (Malaysia): Great Britain got back to winning ways as they defeated New Zealand 2-1 in an Azlan Shah Cup match here on Wednesday while Malaysia rallied from a two-goal deficit to pull off an upset 3-2 victory over Asian Games champions Pakistan.
Malaysia`s match-winner came in the 69th minute through a penalty corner conversion by Muhammad Razie. Amir Farid and Faisal Saari had earlier lifted Malaysia back from the two-goal deficit.
Recovering from their loss to Argentina in the last outing, Great Britain dominated the encounter with New Zealand.
World No 4 Great Britain, the top team in the competition, scored field goals through Ashley Jackson (18th minute) and Matt Daly (27th), but New Zealand pulled a goal back on a penalty corner conversion by Andy Hayward (62nd).
This is New Zealand`s first loss in four matches, and they continue to lead the standings with nine points.
Argentina, who defeated India 3-2 today, also have nine points, but from five games. Great Britain are on seven points from four outings, followed by India (six points from five matches) and Malaysia (five points from four games).
Pakistan, who play India on Thursday, opened the scoring against Malaysia in the fourth minute through Umar Bhutta. Shafqat Rasool then sent a soaring reverse hit high in the goal in the 13th minute, but Amir Farid began the Malaysian rally with an opportunistic strike in the last minute before half-time.
Faisal Saari`s 47th minute goal brought Malaysia level on 2-2. Malaysia continued pressing Pakistan`s defence and forced a series of penalty corners before Razie found the target with a sound drive in the 69th minute.
South Korea have four points from as many games, followed by Pakistan Pakistan on three points from four matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir