Gregg Clark appointed junior men`s hockey coach
New Delhi: Former South African Olympian Gregg Clark was on Sunday appointed the head coach of India`s junior men`s hockey side to prepare them for the World Cup to be held here later this year.
Clark is also the chief coach of Ranchi Rhinos who won the title in the inaugural season of the Hockey India League.
The 42-year-old has had a seven-year coaching stint with the South African national side as well.
Clark will commence his assignment with the Indian side from April 13.
"After coaching Ranchi Rhinos in the inaugural season of HIL, I can say that Indian Hockey has very bright future. I look forward to working again with Baljeet Saini, who along with the other coaching staff have done a great job with the team to date," Clark said.
Clark has over 250 international caps and has represented South Africa in two World Cups in Sydney 1994 and Kuala Lumpur 2002, two Olympic Games, in Atlanta 1998 and Athens 2004.
On Clarke`s appointment, Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra said, "Being the hosts of the Junior World Cup I think this is the best opportunity for India to achieve a top 3 finish."
"Hockey India has been looking for a candidate that not only has the experience of making players tactically and mentally stronger, but who can also consolidate the final preparations of the team. We are confident that Gregg Clark will provide a significant contribution to the existing coaching team for the junior men," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan