Grenada PM praises James for winning SOSA award
St. George: Prime Minister Tillman Thomas has heaped praise on Olympic and world 400 metre champion Kirani James for receiving the Caribbean Spirit of Sport Award (SOSA) in Trinidad and Tobago last week.
The Grenadian quarter-miler was presented with the award after picking up his country`s first Olympic medal in the event at the 2012 London Games in August, reports CMC.
James also captured world attention with a humanitarian gesture in one of his preliminary races at the Games.
"We were all excited with the athletic achievement of Kirani on the stadium tracks at the Olympics," Thomas said in a Government statement release Wednesday.
"But the heart of this champion was displayed when the world also took notice when he swapped bibs with double amputee, South African athlete Oscar Pistorius."
While announcing the award, the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) heaped praise on James for his achievements in 2012, while still a teenager.
The Grenadian prime minister said the award by the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago is evidence that Kirani`s actions set a new standard for which he will be known throughout his professional career.
"People celebrate champions and the world took notice when this Grenadian star athlete did something selfless," said the prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls