Gujarat girl returns to a rousing welcome from South Korea
Ahmedabad: Tears of happiness flowed down the eyes of Kamu Devipujak, after her daughter Maya returned home with a gold medal in the Floor Hockey event at the Special Olympics World Winter Games held in South Korea.
"My daughter has made our entire community proud. I can`t even believe this," said her mother Kamu Devipujak.
Maya`s father suffers from a mental disorder and is unable to go to work. Her mother runs the home by selling vegetables. The family lives in a slum near Mehsana railway station.
The entire Devipujak community, president of Gujarat`s Devipujak community and her neighbours garlanded her, distributing sweets to celebrate her success, followed by a victory procession to the beats of drums and music.
"It was a very good experience. I didn`t understand their language. It was very cold. It was snowing. I changed my aircraft four times," Maya said.
Vishnu Chaudhary, the project co-ordinator at Khodiyar Education Trust where she was enrolled, told PTI that it was a special moment for Maya, her family and her community members.
"Maya has delivered at the international level, against the best," he said.
"It was a dream come true when she was selected in the team. But to come back with a gold medal is something beyond everybody`s dreams," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack