Gurusaidutt, Sourabh enter quarters of Malaysian GPG
Johor Bahru: India`s RMV Gurusaidutt and Sourabh Verma advanced to the quarterfinals of the men`s singles competition in the USD 120,000 Malaysian Grand Prix Gold at Pasir Gudang on Thursday.
However, Sai Praneeth B and seventh seed H S Prannoy bowed out of the tournament after losing their respective pre-quarterfinals matches at the Stadium Pasir Gudang.
In the women`s singles, P C Thulasi progressed to last-8 as she got the better off compatriot Tanvi
Lad 21-21 7-21 21-18 to set up a clash against Adrianti Firdasari of Indonesia tomorrow.
Sixth seed Gurusaidutt overcame a tough first-round fight to breeze past Indonesia`s Wisnu Yuli Prasetyo 23-21 21-9 in a 36-minute duel.
Eighth seed Sourabh, who has clinched three titles -- TATA Open, Austrian International Challenge and Iran Fajr International Challenge recently -- had to battle it out against Kazumasa Sakai of Japan to post a 21-15 17-21 21-19 win.
Sourabh will now take on third seed Tien Chen Chou of Chinese Taipei, while Gurusaidutt too faces a stern test in Malaysia`s Wei Feng Chong who is seeded second in the tournament.
Sai Praneeth B, who prevailed over Malaysia`s Nur Mohd Azriyn Ayub earlier in the day, went down against Thailand`s Thammasin Sitthikom 21-17 21-14.
Prannoy HS, seeded seventh, toiled hard before losing to Nan Wei of Hong Kong 21-9 17-21 21-18.
In men`s doubles, Alwin Francis and Arun Vishnu reached the quarterfinals after overcoming Thai pair of Wannawat Ampunsuwan and Patiphat Chalardchaleam 17-21 21-19 21-19.
In the mixed doubles, eighth seeded Indian pair of Pranaav Jerry Chopra and Siki Reddy N defeated Chinese Taipei`s Po Han Yang and Hung Yu Chen 21-13 17-21 21-14 to enter the quarterfinals.
Earlier, it was curtains for Aditya Prakash in the round two. The youngster lost 17-21 10-21 to 15th seed Simon Santoso from Indonesia in another second round match.
Sixth seeded Indian pair of Arun Vishnu and Aparna Balan, however, couldn`t cross the hurdle, losing 19-21 7-21 to Malaysian combo of Fai Yin Wong and Mei Kuan Chow.
Another local pair of Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid and Fie Cho Soong ended the run of Vountus Indra Mawan and Prajakta Sawant with a 21-14 21-13 win in a mixed doubles clash.
Prajakta and her partner Arathi Sara Sunil also lost in the women`s doubles competition after the Indian pair retired midway against Chinese combo of Dongni Ou and Mengjing Xiong while lagging 2-21 5-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Bail plea of Amanatullah Khan, accused of threatening woman with rape and murder, to be heard today
- Bhagwant Mann FB video row: Deadline for AAP MP to depose before parliamentary panel ends today
- Donald Trump was 'being sarcastic' over Russia hacking comments
- Full text of US President Barack Obama's speech at Democratic convention
- Tim Kaine accepts Democratic nomination for VP