Happy to make the top 20 this year, says Gurusaidutt
Mumbai: Having broken into the top 20 world ranking this year, Indian shuttler R M V Gurusaidutt says he`s happy to have achieved the goal he had set out for himself.
"This has been a good year for me as whatever tournaments I have played, I have given my best. It has been an up and down season for me but I am happy to have achieved my goal of being in top 20 at the end of the year," said Guru, who friday entered the semi-finals of the men`s singles in the Tata Open India International Challenge in progress here.
Guru had breached the top 20 last month when he was ranked 19th for four weeks in November before slipping out.
He is currently ranked 22nd.
Guru reckoned his feat of overcoming world no. 11 Hu Yun of Hong Kong as the pick of his victories during 2013.
"For me the highlight of the year was beating world no. 11 Hu Yun of Hong Long. I made it to the quarterfinal stage of four Super Series (events). So it has been quite satisfying."
Guru, who won a bronze medal in the world juniors five years ago, considers 2014 as a very important year with so many major events coming up and he wants to maintain his fitness.
"I want to keep playing at the same level and keep going as 2014 is an important year with Thomas Cup, Commonwealth Games (in Glasgow, Scotland) and Asian Games (in Incheon, South Korea) coming up.
"I need to maintain my fitness. It is important to get into the Indian team and play as per the best of my abilities and fitness."
The 23-year-old shuttler praised national coach P Gopichand for raising the depth of Indian men`s team.
"Gopi sir has changed our team and standards. We have eight sparring partners in his academy (in Hyderabad). It is quite useful as all are in the top 20," he pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem