Harendra, Dhanraj, Lobo in contention for hockey coach’s post
New Delhi: Harendra Singh might have stepped down as national hockey coach after India’s unexpected loss in the Asian Games semifinals but he, along with former captain Dhanraj Pillay, has applied for the top job of the national team.
The newly-formed development committee of Hockey India, headed by former India captain Pargat Singh, met here on Wednesday for the first time and discussed at length the various aspects related to the game, including prospective candidates for the posts of national team’s coach which is lying vacant after Spaniard Jose Brasa’s contract expired last month.
According to a highly-placed source in Hockey India, the development committee has so far received 10 applications from within the country for the vacant coach’s position and has also approached the International Hockey Federation to suggest some foreign candidate’s name.
“On Wednesday, the development committee met for the first time and discussed in length about all the issues, including that of coaches. The committee will meet here again January 5,” the source told reporters.
“The committee has so far received 10 applications for the coach’s post. Among Indians, Pillay, Harendra and Clawrence Lobo are the notable names who have applied. They are discussing every angle and have also approached FIH for suggestion on foreign candidates,” he added.
The source also said that the committee was of the view that giving the next coach a long tenure will enable him to build a team for the future.
“The committee members discuss to give ample time to the new coach. They want at least four-year term for him,” he said.
He also added the entire selection process of the national team coach would be finished by January next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks