Harika loses first game of semifinals
Khanty Mansiysk (Russia): Grandmaster D Harika`s title aspirations suffered a major blow as she lost to Antoaneta Stefanova of Bulgaria in the first game of the semifinal of World Women chess championship here.
Despite displaying top form so far, Harika could not get things moving well for her in the first game and went down rather easily.
The next game is a must win for Harika as thats the only way to proceed to the tiebreaker with some respite.
In the clash between Harika and Stefanova, there was a difference in approach as the Indian tried to make things happen, while the latter waited patiently for something to come her way. Eventually it did.
Harika had slight initiative at the cost of a pawn. Normal play in the middle game would have yielded a decent result but in her bid to push for more, Harika went haywire with a piece sacrifice. The Bulgarian had to correctly calculate a few lines thereafter and she did not falter.
Harika`s attempts for further counter-play were met with cold-water treatment. This was not simply the day for the Indian star. Stefanova won in 39 moves.
The Indian now faces a tall task. While the Bulgarian has seen this kind of pressure earlier as she had won the world championship in 2004, for Harika this is her maiden appearance in the semifinal.
If Harika manages to win the return game against Stefanova, it will not only help her to remain in the event but will also boost her confidence as she has already made a comeback to beat Zhao Xue of China in the previous round.
Another semifinal match between Anna Ushenina of Ukraine and Ju Wenjun of China ended in a draw and it gave the latter a slight upper hand in the return game.
Anna tried to make a foray in the King`s Indian defense game against Wenjun but she could not get any real advantage. The peace was signed in just 28 moves.
The final will have four games in the 450000 USD championship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights