Haryana doubles prize money for worlds medallist
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Wednesday announced to double the prize money of the medal winners at World Cups and World championships besides raising rewards for those who get Bhim and Arjuna Awards.
Hooda said that Bhim awardees would now get award money of Rs five lakh instead of Rs two lakh.
Similarly, Arjuna awardees belonging to the state would be given cash prize of Rs five lakh as against Rs two lakh earlier.
Bhim award was given by the state government in recognition of outstanding performance by state players whereas Arjuna awards were conferred by the central government.
The chief minister said that prize money for those winning gold, silver and bronze medals in World Cup or World championships for both general and para athletes would be awarded with Rs 10 lakh, Rs 8 lakh and Rs 6 lakh respectively as against Rs 5 lakh, Rs 4 lakh and Rs 3 lakh until now.
While congratulating the budding wrestlers Amit Kumar and Bajrang who bagged silver and bronze medals respectively in World Cup wrestling, Hooda said that both the players had brought laurels for the state and the country.
"It was a pride moment for the state that India got two medals in the championship which have been won by Haryana players," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore