Haryana doubles prize money for worlds medallist
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Wednesday announced to double the prize money of the medal winners at World Cups and World championships besides raising rewards for those who get Bhim and Arjuna Awards.
Hooda said that Bhim awardees would now get award money of Rs five lakh instead of Rs two lakh.
Similarly, Arjuna awardees belonging to the state would be given cash prize of Rs five lakh as against Rs two lakh earlier.
Bhim award was given by the state government in recognition of outstanding performance by state players whereas Arjuna awards were conferred by the central government.
The chief minister said that prize money for those winning gold, silver and bronze medals in World Cup or World championships for both general and para athletes would be awarded with Rs 10 lakh, Rs 8 lakh and Rs 6 lakh respectively as against Rs 5 lakh, Rs 4 lakh and Rs 3 lakh until now.
While congratulating the budding wrestlers Amit Kumar and Bajrang who bagged silver and bronze medals respectively in World Cup wrestling, Hooda said that both the players had brought laurels for the state and the country.
"It was a pride moment for the state that India got two medals in the championship which have been won by Haryana players," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH