Haryana promoting sports in a big way: Hooda
Chandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda on Thursday said that his government has adopted a unique idea of promoting sports as a part of education.
He was addressing sportspersons after inaugurating the 14th All India Police Lawn Tennis Championship at the Chandigarh Lawn Tennis Association (CLTA) here.
As many as 94 players from 19 teams from across the country are participating in this event. The inaugural match was played between Rakesh of Punjab and Ramesh Chaitnya of Himachal Pradesh.
While congratulating the participants, the Chief Minister welcomed them to the city and said that he has a long association with CLTA.
Describing sports as a part of life, he said that tennis is a game of skills and stamina.
"In today?s life, every person needs more sporting to keep himself fit," he added.
Hooda said that Haryana is promoting sports in a big way.
"The Sports policy implemented by the government has three basic ingredients namely infrastructure, talent hunt and future assurance. Padak Lao-Pad Pao scheme to ensure future of players have been paying dividend.
"The government had also started Sports and Physical Aptitude Test to hunt the budding talent at tender age in schools," he said.
He said that Haryana players have brought laurels in the Commonwealth Games, Asian Games and Olympic Games.
Out of 38 gold medals won by the country at the Commonwealth Games, the state players have bagged 22 medals.
Haryana players have won four medals out of the total six medals won by the country in the last Olympic Games.
Hooda urged people to adopt at least one game in their life.
He also wished success to the championship, which is being hosted by Chandigarh Police for the second time.
Earlier, Hooda also launched a souvenir for the 14th All India Police Lawn Tennis Championship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA