Haye blames toe injury for his defeat
Hamburg: British boxing champion David Haye has blamed his toe injury for defeat against Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko in the heavyweight title unification clash in Hamburg, German
“I might not have been at my best but I gave it as much as I could. I couldn`t push on my right leg. I broke my toe on my right foot,” Haye was quoted as saying by a news channel.
“Broken toe three weeks ago, meant I couldn`t shoot right hand like I am used to,” Haye wrote on the Twitter.
Haye, who used defensive tactics against an aggressive Klitschko lost with a score of 117-109, 118-108 and 116-110.
“No way I could pull out after so many fans paid their hard earned money. I believed I could still win. Klit fought me great, credit to him,” Haye said.
The unification super-fight saw 30-year-old Haye putting his WBA heavyweight title on the line in a bid to snatch his Germany-based Ukrainian opponent``s IBF, WBO and Ring magazine belts.
“I have got a lot of respect for Wladimir and he is a great fighter. Everything that was said in the lead up was for him to come and get me so I could land my shots,” Haye was quoted as saying.
Despite his convincing win, Klitschko was dissatisfied. After all the talking and mind games in the build-up, the Ukrainian said he would have liked to end it in a knockout.
“I wish I could have proven it with a knockout of David Haye. His behaviour before the fight was disgraceful to the sport of boxing,” Klitschko said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Watch: Arjun Kapoor makes his voice-over debut as 'Buck' in Hindi trailer of 'Ice Age Collision Course'!
- Govt, RBI seek to soothe wracked investor nerves after Brexit
- Chicago University welcomes Raghuram Rajan back to academics
- No kids for John Abraham for now
- Throwback pic! Virat Kohli showcases rockstar avatar, raps in AR Rahman's Chennai studio