HC seeks info on rules barring athletes from being awarded
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday asked the city government to inform it about the rule which is coming in its way to recommend an international athlete based in the national capital for Rajiv Gandhi State Sports Award.
Justice Vibhu Bakhru sought a response from Delhi government by tomorrow on the plea of powerlifter Puran Singh Kadyan who complained that an amendment in Rule 6 of the award that a sports person born in Delhi would only be eligible for the recognition, has deprived him from being recommended for the prestigious award by the state.
Kadyan, who was not born in Delhi but has been here for 40 years and represented the team of the national capital and the country in different capacities as an athlete, a coach and a referee, sought that the amendment be quashed and his name included in the list of candidates eligible for the award.
"Rule 6 has been amended, in an arbitrary manner and has no nexus with the object of the scheme of the award. It is further submitted that the amended rule has caused prejudice to the petitioner.
"The amended rule 6 for conferring the award put an unreasonable condition that persons should be born and brought up in Delhi, which is in violation of the fundamental right guaranteed under the Constitution of India," the complaint filed by Kadyan`s advocate Jairaj Mudgal and Neeraj Attri said.
As per the earlier rule 6, the person should be a resident of Delhi for five years continuously preceding the year in which the award is to be given.
"The amended rule 6 has eliminated the claim of the petitioner on account of malafide intention of the respondents (Delhi government and Directorate of Education, Sports Branch). Therefore, the amended rule 6 as well as list for the year 2011 for the award is liable to be quashed," it said while seeking directions to the government to reconsider his candidature for conferring the award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees