HI announces women`s hockey team for FIH Champions Challenge
New Delhi: Forwards Navneet Kaur and Neha Goyal have been included for the first time in the 18-member Indian women`s hockey squad, led by midfielder Ritu Rani, for the FIH Champions Challenge 1 to be held from April 27 May 4.
Midfielder Chanchan Devi will be the vice-captain for the eight-nation tournament to be played at Glasgow, Scotland. India are placed in Pool A with Korea, Belgium and the host Scotland while USA, South Africa, Spain and Ireland are placed in Pool B.
India will take on Korea in their opening match on April 27.
The team will depart for Ireland on April 10 to play a three-match test series against their national side to acclimatise ahead of the Champions Challenge 1. Hockey India selectors B P Govinda, Mamta Kharab Dahiya and Surinder Kaur alongwith Roelant Oltmans, Director High Performance, Neil Hawgood, chief coach women team and Scientific Advisor Matthew Tredrea selected 18 players and seven standbys on the basis of selection trials conducted at NSNIS Patiala on March 27.
The senior women`s team is currently camping at NSNIS, Patiala, since March 24.
Squad: Goalkeepers: Yogita Bali, Savita,
Defenders: Deep Grace Ekka, Deepika, Sunita Lakra, Kirandeep Kaur, Namita Toppo, Monika Malik
Midfielders: Sushila Chanu, Ritu Rani, Lily Chanu, Chanchan Devi, Soundarya Yendala
Forwards: Anuradha Devi, Poonam Rani, Vandana Katariya, Navneet Kaur, Neha Goyal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place