HI announces women`s hockey team for FIH Champions Challenge
New Delhi: Forwards Navneet Kaur and Neha Goyal have been included for the first time in the 18-member Indian women`s hockey squad, led by midfielder Ritu Rani, for the FIH Champions Challenge 1 to be held from April 27 May 4.
Midfielder Chanchan Devi will be the vice-captain for the eight-nation tournament to be played at Glasgow, Scotland. India are placed in Pool A with Korea, Belgium and the host Scotland while USA, South Africa, Spain and Ireland are placed in Pool B.
India will take on Korea in their opening match on April 27.
The team will depart for Ireland on April 10 to play a three-match test series against their national side to acclimatise ahead of the Champions Challenge 1. Hockey India selectors B P Govinda, Mamta Kharab Dahiya and Surinder Kaur alongwith Roelant Oltmans, Director High Performance, Neil Hawgood, chief coach women team and Scientific Advisor Matthew Tredrea selected 18 players and seven standbys on the basis of selection trials conducted at NSNIS Patiala on March 27.
The senior women`s team is currently camping at NSNIS, Patiala, since March 24.
Squad: Goalkeepers: Yogita Bali, Savita,
Defenders: Deep Grace Ekka, Deepika, Sunita Lakra, Kirandeep Kaur, Namita Toppo, Monika Malik
Midfielders: Sushila Chanu, Ritu Rani, Lily Chanu, Chanchan Devi, Soundarya Yendala
Forwards: Anuradha Devi, Poonam Rani, Vandana Katariya, Navneet Kaur, Neha Goyal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA