HI appoints Mukesh as coach of senior men`s team
New Delhi: Three-time Olympian Mukesh Kumar, who created a stir by walking out of a national camp recently after being denied charge of the junior side, has been appointed as coach of the senior men`s hockey team and will work under chief coach Michael Nobbs of Australia.
Confirming Mukesh`s appointment, Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra said that the veteran Olympian and Padma Shri will resume his duties in the new role from Thursday.
"Mukesh has been appointed as a coach of the senior men`s team. He will be a part of the coach`s set-up engaged with the team under chief coach Nobbs," Batra said.
Asked about the tenure of his contract, Batra said, "It has not yet been finalised. It depends on the chief coach`s wish because as per Nobbs` contract he also has to train our Indian coaches."
Mukesh, 41, created a controversy earlier this month when he left the national camp in Sports Authority of India, Bangalore a few hours after his arrival in protest after being denied the chief coach`s post of the junior team.
Mukesh, who agreed to be part of the Indian set-up on conditions that he would either assist a foreign coach or assume complete charge of the junior team, was shocked when he learnt that he will have to work under former senior national coach Harendra Singh.
As expected Mukesh was delighted with the development, saying it was his long-cherished dream to work with the senior team.
"I always wanted to work under a foreign coach as his assistant. I was offered the coach`s post of the women`s team but I refused because I wanted to be a part of the men`s set- up," he said.
Mukesh represented India in three consecutive Olympics starting from 1992 Barcelona Games, where it finished seventh. He made 307 international appearances for India and scored 80 goals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow