HI signs up 10 Oz players for inaugural league
New Delhi: Hockey India today signed up as many as 10 current Australian players for its inaugural franchise-based league (HIL) to be held across different cities of the country from January next year.
These 10 players include four Australian co-captains -- Mark Knowles, Fergus Kavanagh, Liam de Young and Edward Ockenden. Luke Doerner, Russell Ford, Kiel Brown, Simon Orchard, Christopher Ciriello and Rob Hammond are the other star players who will also be a part of next month`s Hockey India League Players Auction.
With the addition of these 10 players, the total number of Australians who have made themselves available for the HIL has rose to 11.
Kookaburras captain Jamie Dwyer was the first to join the league after HI named him as one of the brand ambassadors of the six-team event to be held from January 5 to February 3, 2013.
HI secretary general and HIL chairman Narinder Batra said the presence of the Australian stars would add to the quality of the league.
"It is our pleasure to unveil a star-studded list of Australian players who have signed contracts to be available for the Hockey India League Players Auction," he said.
The Australians join 150 Indian players and 15 Pakistanis, who have already signed up for the HIL Players` Auction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report