HI signs up 10 Oz players for inaugural league
New Delhi: Hockey India today signed up as many as 10 current Australian players for its inaugural franchise-based league (HIL) to be held across different cities of the country from January next year.
These 10 players include four Australian co-captains -- Mark Knowles, Fergus Kavanagh, Liam de Young and Edward Ockenden. Luke Doerner, Russell Ford, Kiel Brown, Simon Orchard, Christopher Ciriello and Rob Hammond are the other star players who will also be a part of next month`s Hockey India League Players Auction.
With the addition of these 10 players, the total number of Australians who have made themselves available for the HIL has rose to 11.
Kookaburras captain Jamie Dwyer was the first to join the league after HI named him as one of the brand ambassadors of the six-team event to be held from January 5 to February 3, 2013.
HI secretary general and HIL chairman Narinder Batra said the presence of the Australian stars would add to the quality of the league.
"It is our pleasure to unveil a star-studded list of Australian players who have signed contracts to be available for the Hockey India League Players Auction," he said.
The Australians join 150 Indian players and 15 Pakistanis, who have already signed up for the HIL Players` Auction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- South China Sea critical to US national security: White House