HI welcomes recommendation of Dhyan Chand for Bharat Ratna
New Delhi: Hockey India (HI) on Wednesday congratulated the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for recommending the name of Hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand for the coveted Bharat Ratna award.
"Hockey India has congratulated the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports for recommending the name of Hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand for being given the coveted Bharat Ratna award," a Hockey India release said.
In a letter earlier, HI had welcomed Sports Minister Ajay Maken`s decision to modify the rules for paving the way for eligibility of sportspersons for Bharat Ratna.
The HI had also strongly recommended that Dhyan Chand be conferred with this honour, the highest Civilian Award of our country.
Late Major Dhyan Chand is acknowledged as the greatest Hockey player across the world. He won three successive Gold Medals at Olympic Games at Amsterdam in 1928, Los Angles in 1932 and Berlin in 1936.
Major Dhyan Chand is credited with scoring over 1000 international goals in a career which spanned from 1926 to 1948.
"Hockey India is hopeful that Government of India will award Bharat Ratna to Hockey Wizard Late Major Dhyan Chand," the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach