High school basketball star shot hoops while in coma
Washington: A high school basketball player from US, who has played the game for a very long time, mastered the mechanics of shooting even while she was in a coma.
According to the doctors, while in a two-and-a-half month long coma, Maggie Meier from Overland Park, Kansas, would cradle a beach ball in her hands and shoot it through the arms of her sister, who formed a makeshift hoop.
“I have never seen anything like it,” said William Graf, Maggie’s neurologist.
“The act of shooting a basketball must have been ingrained as one of Maggie’s basic instincts - her basketball shooting motion came back to her even before she was able to stand up or walk again,” he said.
Sometimes, her family would even move her to a chair where she would shoot a ball into a mini hoop. After a few minutes of activity, she would return to a comatose state.
Maggie’s coma was a result of a condition called mycoplasma meningoencephalitis, a type of meningitis that can cause swelling in the brain.
Back in the fall of 2008, Maggie had complained to her parents about feeling ill and began suffering seizures when they took her to the hospital. She later fell into a coma.
Maggie revealed she had no memories of the coma, including the time she spent shooting basketballs.
“Coming back to normal, I hear stories like that, like shooting the beach ball,” she said.
“I played basketball my whole life, since third grade. I had the knowledge of playing and knowing what was going on in a game,” Maggie added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'