High school basketball star shot hoops while in coma
Washington: A high school basketball player from US, who has played the game for a very long time, mastered the mechanics of shooting even while she was in a coma.
According to the doctors, while in a two-and-a-half month long coma, Maggie Meier from Overland Park, Kansas, would cradle a beach ball in her hands and shoot it through the arms of her sister, who formed a makeshift hoop.
“I have never seen anything like it,” said William Graf, Maggie’s neurologist.
“The act of shooting a basketball must have been ingrained as one of Maggie’s basic instincts - her basketball shooting motion came back to her even before she was able to stand up or walk again,” he said.
Sometimes, her family would even move her to a chair where she would shoot a ball into a mini hoop. After a few minutes of activity, she would return to a comatose state.
Maggie’s coma was a result of a condition called mycoplasma meningoencephalitis, a type of meningitis that can cause swelling in the brain.
Back in the fall of 2008, Maggie had complained to her parents about feeling ill and began suffering seizures when they took her to the hospital. She later fell into a coma.
Maggie revealed she had no memories of the coma, including the time she spent shooting basketballs.
“Coming back to normal, I hear stories like that, like shooting the beach ball,” she said.
“I played basketball my whole life, since third grade. I had the knowledge of playing and knowing what was going on in a game,” Maggie added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore