HIL: Punjab Warriors punish Mumbai Magicians
Mumbai: Jaypee Punjab Warriors beat Dabur Mumbai Magicians 4-1 to consolidate their second position in the Hockey India League (HIL) at the Mahindra Hockey Stadium here Saturday.
Punjab Warriors have scored 23 points from six outings while last year’s runners-up Delhi Waveriders, who have so far garnered 29 points from eight matches and are presently atop the leaderboard.
Mumbai Magicians, on the other hand, are at the bottom of the table with just six points from as many matches.
Warriors took the early lead through a field goal by SV Sunil in the third minute of the match.
Dharamvir Singh doubled their lead in the 17th minute through another field strike after latching on to a loose ball inside the circle.
The Punjab outfit scored two more goals in a span of two minutes to extend their lead.
First young striker Affan Yousuf (25th minute) scored a field goal before ace drag-flicker Sandeep Singh (26th minute) converted a penalty stroke to make the scoreline 4-0 in favour of the visitors.
Magicians created a few scoring chances but failed to capitalise on them before V S Vinaya scored from a rebound to reduce the margin to 4-1 at the halfway mark.
The hosts upped their game in the second half but could not get near Punjab’s tally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes