HIL: Punjab Warriors punish Mumbai Magicians
Mumbai: Jaypee Punjab Warriors beat Dabur Mumbai Magicians 4-1 to consolidate their second position in the Hockey India League (HIL) at the Mahindra Hockey Stadium here Saturday.
Punjab Warriors have scored 23 points from six outings while last year’s runners-up Delhi Waveriders, who have so far garnered 29 points from eight matches and are presently atop the leaderboard.
Mumbai Magicians, on the other hand, are at the bottom of the table with just six points from as many matches.
Warriors took the early lead through a field goal by SV Sunil in the third minute of the match.
Dharamvir Singh doubled their lead in the 17th minute through another field strike after latching on to a loose ball inside the circle.
The Punjab outfit scored two more goals in a span of two minutes to extend their lead.
First young striker Affan Yousuf (25th minute) scored a field goal before ace drag-flicker Sandeep Singh (26th minute) converted a penalty stroke to make the scoreline 4-0 in favour of the visitors.
Magicians created a few scoring chances but failed to capitalise on them before V S Vinaya scored from a rebound to reduce the margin to 4-1 at the halfway mark.
The hosts upped their game in the second half but could not get near Punjab’s tally.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt