HIL will help building strong team for World Cup: Sreejesh
New Delhi: Indian hockey goalkeeper PR Sreejesh believes that the hockey league will give an impetus to the sport in India and would lay a strong foundation in building a good team for next year`s World Cup.
Sreejesh, who will be playing for the Mumbai Magicians, said the upcoming league would improve the physical and mental conditioning of the Indian players as they would get an opportunity to play with world-class players and coaches.
"Players will get an opportunity to play under some of the best coaches, learn new skills and tactics. We, especially juniors, will gain lots of experience by playing with top players. Coaches, on the other hand, will get a good chance to study various players and utilise the knowledge to build national teams for next year`s FIH World Cup," he said.
The Kerala lad considers the league as a New Year present and is eargerly waiting to perform in the competition.
"The League will improve the technical skills of players and coaches, as well as entertain fans worldwide and bring more sponsors to this sport," he said.
The 25-year-old goalie believes that all stakeholders -- players, coaches, fans and sponsors will enjoy the HIL as the venture has something in store for everyone.
Sreejesh is delighted with the price (USD 38,000) he got at the auctions as he feels goalkeepers generally do not command good prices when compared to others.
"Usually goalkeepers don`t get much money, but this is a good amount. I am thankful to my Franchisee for showing interest in me," he said.
He will be playing alongside dragflicker Sandeep Singh and international stars Joel Carroll (Australia), Matthew Swann (Australia) and Mahmood Rashid (Pakistan).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details